For the past several reunions, there has been discussion about visiting some of the places our veterans visited during WWII, albeit from the air. I have been working with my travel agency, Brandt Travel ( https://brandt-travel.com ), to explore the feasibility of such a trip.
These discussions are still very preliminary and NOTHING has been decided. Having said that, these are some of the conclusions:
1) Cities along the Danube River were a major target. Hence, a river cruise provides an excellent starting point.
2) Cruise rates are lowest in the spring and fall. We are focused on the fall 2019.
3) The duration of the cruise is TBD, but will most likely be around two weeks.
4) The cruise will either start or end in Bucharest, which will allow a pre- or post- land excursion to Ploesti.
5) Vienna will, most likely, be one of the cities we visit. From here, we are looking at another land excursion to Weiner Neustadt. The airfield is still there, along with a museum.
6) 2019 is the 75th anniversary of the Normandy landings. If anyone is interested, since you are already in Europe, Brandt can arrange a separate visit. Such a trip will NOT be part of this cruise. The costs will be a separate charge.
If you are interested in participating, please send me your email address, and I will start making a list of interested parties. This trip will be open to families.
I do plan to send this announcement to the other seven reunion veterans groups to see if any of them are interested.
It is too early to discuss pricing. You can do an online search for Danube river cruises to get some idea of the variety of cruises available, and the diversity of costs.